Friday, April 17, 2015

Will Spring Ever Return Again?

The winter stretched out
long and cold
the land lay barren
the fields fallow
the bird’s song was sad
the air crisp and angry
Darkness reigned over sunlight
Cold reigned over warmth
Will the Spring ever return again?


The face of my enemy stayed in front of me
The hand of my friend no longer on my back
I stood alone in battle
Weapon in hand
Wondering where you went
Who used to fight with me and for me
Whose words of love
Now fall with undeserved distrust and malice
Will peace ever return to this land again?

The sun hid behind the dark clouds
The moon stays within the darkness
The stars afraid to shine
The oceans stopped rolling
The sea sat quiet
The wind stopped blowing
Through the leaves of the tree
All remained still, savage
Will the world start to revolve again?

Days have turned into weeks
Weeks have turned into months
Yet the seconds of the clock
Pounding through my head
Move languidly, slowly
Our time together not enough
I have counted each second we have been apart
Will time start to count again?

The pens have all dried up
The pencils all stubbed out
Paper stays blank, words lose meaning
Books have been sewn shut
Poems torn asunder
Plays are shut down
Paintings hanging have no color
There is no encore at the end
Will ignorance be forgotten again?

People don’t talk without shouting
Or love without hurting
They ignore the suffering
And esteem the extravagance
The truth is hidden
Behind too many masks of lies
You call this depression
Yet it is your knife that has sliced through my heart
Will happiness ever shine again?

The heart that used to beat so fast only for you has stopped
Leaving just a cavernous echo, phantom pain
The blood that coursed
Now barely flowing, quietly weeping
The eyes that glowed
Now live in perpetual sorrow and deluge
The soft words whispered
Now dispassionate rebuke
Will I ever feel again?

The farmer that watches his fields
Sit barren and infertile
Sees a sprout of green
Struggling but surviving
Growing and adapting
Flourishing and then flowering

The soldier that took up arms
Stops and sets down his rifle
He looks up at the sky
He sees the stars and the moon
Shining down in memory
And knows he fights because peace will reign again

The rain is retreating into acceptance
The clouds begin to sweep away the doubts
The air becomes crisp with rebirth
Making the sounds of bells dance on the breeze
And a rainbow forms
Showing that the world never stopped moving, I did

The clock on the wall chimed
Reminding me of you
As a memory fills the void
Instead of ticking like a bomb
Time is not my enemy, nor my friend
Time is just where I put my memories that count again.

The words flow under me like water
The blank page no longer my competitor of creativity
But my canvas of expression
Where I can leave my anguish and insert my joy
I write down my story
Remembering that wisdom often comes with scars

People who shout can also whisper
And people who hurt may have been hurt too
Strength comes out of the ashes
Like a phoenix rising
To turn those shouts into a whisper and love into compassion
So that happiness is not about you or them, but inside of me

Your knife may have sliced my heart, but I am still standing
You can hurt me and you can kill me
You can stop the Earth, shut down the cities, lock the doors, and seal the windows
You can dig my grave with your words or drown me with your guile
But my love for you will still be real, an anguished and cherished absolute
No rebuke or contempt can distort my existence

Will I ever feel again?
Will happiness ever shine again?
Will ignorance be forgotten again?
Will time start to count again?
Will the world start to revolve again?
Will peace ever return to this land again?
Will the Spring ever return again?

Silence…

No comments:

Post a Comment