Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Caffeine and Absolution

 
 
I have been having a bit of trouble finding inspiration this week.  I do not want to lose the momentum I have had given that I am on Chapter Thirty One and there are only about two or three more chapters to even write for my completed novel.  Yet, for the past few days, I stare at the empty screen or re-read the last page I wrote and when I get to the end I can't continue.  I know I have to break the setting in of barren inspiration before it becomes weeks and months before I write again.  But, what do you do to find that inspiration?  That is like the sun asking, "how do I find the spring when I hate the cold weather that hides me?"
 
One of the problems is that my focus had been interrupted.  Last week I had to attend a conference for my daylight job which pays my bills.  That is necessary for me so that I can spend my time writing.  I also like the different writing skills I get from a job that deals more with the factual than the imagined.  It gives me a better resource for creating characters that are real.  As a writer attending these conferences become about the job and the work but there are also opportunities.  These opportunities are all about networking. 
 
Networking is an important aspect of being a writer.  It is not my favorite aspect, that is of course the writing.  In the modern world we live in though there are so many avenues for networking.  There are social media sites, different writing forums and websites, and of course the standard word of mouth.  That is what these conferences offer.  It is an avenue to discuss not just the important work you do normally but listen to people and let them know about the creative work you do in addition. 
 
Here are the two things that will often occur when you do this:
 
1.  You get excited discussing your characters and the story line and it is a way for you to gauge the interest others may have in your idea.  You shouldn't give the whole story away of course.  I hate it when I am watching a movie and someone does that.  If you give the whole story away why would they read the novel?  You have to discuss your story like a writer.  You have to give them a little bit, making them want more.  Pique their interest so that they become a reader and not just a listener.
 
2.  When I tell people I am a writer I usually get one question:  Will you make me a character in your book? (For those I do not know) or Am I one of the characters? (For those I do know)  This last one is often said a bit warily and with a little suspicion.  In truth, the novel I am writing may seem like you as the reader are in it.  That is what makes good and accurate writing of characters.  However, much of the personality of my characters is parts of me. 
 
As I blast through the rock and the walls of emotions and stark reality I will find a way to finish Chapter Thirty One.  After all, as Freddie Mercury sang, "The Show Must Go On."  Or, in this case the story.  And, when all else fails, channel your inner Dr. Seuss, which seems appropriate since he would have celebrated his 111th birthday yesterday. 
 
 

It may just be that I have to change the direction of my thinking.  I was thinking left and now I have to think right.  I was focused for a week on work and life responsibilities and now I have to think higher and more creative.  Ernest Hemingway and Dr. Seuss may be lofty goals to achieve for inspiration but it helps to know that even the best of writers need a bit of help and struggle through the process.
 
So, as it starts to snow AGAIN, I blast through and put my pen to paper.  Onward Chapter Thirty One! And if all else fails...just add coffee and acceptance and try again later.  Everything seems to work better with a little caffeine and a lot of absolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment