Monday, October 29, 2012

Welcome Hurricane Sandy and Writing Time

We have a new visitor to the area and it is one of those visitors that stay too long and you never really wanted to visit in the first place.  Hurricane Sandy is here and rain is coming down hard enough that trains and metro have shut down and offices, including my own, are closed.  This visitor though has brought me gifts though.  I now have the gift of time to write.  I am so rarely bored because I instead go and do some writing.  That is one of the joys of being a writer.  Even when you are not writing you are probably thinking about your next storyline and the next motivations of your characters.  Hard to be in a state of ennui when your brain is contantly moving.

So since Sandy is visiting right now I am able to do some more writing and get some of these plots and motivations from inside my head down onto the paper.  That means that I have moved on and can announce that I am on chapter nineteen.  This is exciting to me because that means I only have about ten more chapters.  It is also exciting because I am coming to the cataylst of my story and the real action will start happening.  This action will introduce new, interesting characters.  When I say interesting that could mean bad and evil or good and heroic.  Those determinations will arise within the next chapters.  That is what makes writing fun and interesting.

Often our stories and characters take on a life all their own and what you predicted or outlined in the beginning has evolved into something truly real and a surprise even to the writer.  The final surprise of course will be the ending but I will discuss that in another blog post soon since I am starting to think of the ending.  It is a bit like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and getting closer but not being there quite yet.

Well, Sandy is still visiting and I thank her for the extra time to write but she can leave anytime now.  I really do not mind. Since I still have a visitor I am off to hunker down into my warm, dry home with a pen contantly in my hand to finish chapter nineteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment